Thursday, March 18, 2010

God - Enjoying

There was a time when I thought the verb "enjoy" and the noun "God" should never be used in the same sentence. I could understand "fearing" God and "obeying" God, even "loving" God. But "enjoying" God struck me as inconsistent with the biblical mandate both to glorify God, on the one hand, and deny myself, on the other. How could I be committed above all else to seeking God's glory if I were concerned about my own joy? My gladness and God's glory seemed to cancel each other out. I had to choose between one or the other, but embracing them both struck me as out of the question. Worse still, enjoying God sounded a bit too lighthearted, almost casual, perhaps even flippant, and I knew that Christianity was serious business.

Sam Storms, Convergence, p. 38.

No comments: