Thursday, October 22, 2009

Emotion

Emotion comes from seeing, from understanding. I experience fear when I realize I might die during the operation the surgeon has suggested to me. The depth of my fear measures the clarity with which I see. My fears will be healthy if what I "see" truly corresponds with reality, for emotion is a test of my grasp of reality. Emotions do not save me - except in the sense that they may startle and shake me into acting in the light of truth.
When the Holy Spirit awakens people, he seems to cause them to perceive truth more vividly. Satan's deceptive mists are driven away. People see their sin as terrifying rocks threatening to sink them or as a foul, stinking cancer that will kill them. They see the mercy of the Savior with the eyes of those who have been snatched from a horrible death. Their trembling, weeping and shouts of joy reflect the clarity of their vision.
Keely aware of this, Dillimore states that the emotional manifestations we are talking about took place in people who were "solemnly conscious of the presence of God... and bitterly aware of their won helplessness."

John White, When The Spirit Comes With Power, p. 51

No comments: