Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Faith / Salvation

I have heard it often asserted that if you believe that Jesus Chirst died for you, you will be saved. My dear hearer, do not be deluded by such an idea. You may believe that Jesus Chirst died for you, and may believe what is not true; you may believe that which will bring you no sort of good whatever. That is not saving faith. The man who has saving faith afterwards attains to the conviction that Chirst died for him, but it is not of the essence of saving faith. Do no get that into your head, or it ruin you. Do not say, "I believe that Jesus Chirst died for me," and because of that feel that you are saved. I pray you to remember that the genuine faith that saves the soul has for its main element - trust- absolute rest of the whole soul - on the Lord Jesus Christ to save me, whether he died in particular or in special to save me or not, and relying, as I am, wholly and alone on him, I am saved.

Iain Murray, The Forgotten Spurgeon, P. 78

No comments: