Monday, March 24, 2008

Worship, Adoration

The admonition to “love the Lord thy God with all thy heart…and with all thy mind” (Matthew 22:37) can mean only one thing. It means to adore Him.

I use the word “adore” sparingly, for it is a precious word. I love babies and I love people, but I cannot say I adore them. Adoration I keep for the lonely One who deserves it. In no other presence and before no other being can I kneel in reverent fear and wonder and yearning and feel the sense of possessiveness that cries “Mine, mine!”

They can change the expressions in the hymnals, but whenever men and women are lost in worship they will cry out, “Oh God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee” (Psalm 63:1). Worship becomes a completely personal love experience between God and the worshiper. It was like that with David, with Isaiah, with Paul. It is like that with all whose desire has been to possess God.

This is the glad truth: God is my God.

- A.W. Tozer, Whatever Happened to Worship, 88-89.

No comments: