Friday, February 15, 2008

Objective Faith

Christian faith certainly does involve and require a personal, relational, subjective response. Faith is not the activity of a disinterested spectator. The passion of personal involvement and commitment of which Soren Kierkegaard wrote is certainly necessary to saving faith. But personal encounter does not negate objective and propositional truth; indeed it presupposes it. I cannot have faith in nothing. My faith must have content or an object. Before I can have a personal relationship with God or anyone else, I must first be aware of them to some degree. I must have some intelligible understanding of what or whom I am believing, I cannot have God in my heart if he is not in my head. Before I can believe in, I must believe that.

It is possible to be aware of a proposition and even affirm the truth of that proposition and still lack a personal faith in
it. But I cannot have the personal relationship without any understanding, information, or knowledge of the object
of my faith. A faith without an object is sheer subjectivism.

- R.C. Sproul, Faith Alone: The Evangelical Doctrine of Justification, 77.

No comments: