Saturday, February 23, 2008

Desires of the Heart

If my heart is ruled by the desire for a certain thing, it will affect my relationship with God in two principal ways. First, it will shape my attitude when I pray. I will pray self-demanding prayers. If a certain set of desires rules my heart, I will not want God to be a wise, loving, sovereign, Father who gives me what he knows is best. Instead, I will want a divine waiter who delivers what I have set my heart on. When a certain set of desires rules our hearts, we reduce prayer to the menu of human desire. We shrink God from his position of all-wise, all-loving, all-powerful Father to a divine waiter we expect to deliver everything we ask. He will not let there be peace until he alone controls our hearts. He fights for us, for the thoughts and desires of our hearts.

- Paul David Tripp, Instruments in the Redeemers Hands, 83.

No comments: